Friday 15 January 2016

Can Men Cry These Days? Or are they being wimps?

By Tony DeLorger © 2016

Emotionalism is still something deeply forbidden in the male persona. At least it is an innate feeling that men, being once the bread-winners, the hunters, the protectors, that emotions were somehow only related to women. Of course we are no longer cave men and equality is most areas of life is slowly coming into being between men and women.

So the questions remain, as a man, do you cry, and if you do, do you feel shame, or is it now ok to be an emotional man, to feel and express those feelings. I have always been sensitive and emotional and I learned a long time ago to be able to express myself rather than bottle up; it was a matter of survival. I have to admit I've even cried at an ad on TV, and if the movie is sad, then there is water works (quiet manly sobbing, of course), but water works all the same. I see no weakness in it, just human emotions, what God gave us to express how we feel. Also artistic expression, in any medium, can really connect with my emotions, particularly music. So I'm a real hand at crying, that ultimate release of pent up emotions.

So, do you think it's ok for a man to cry, to express himself emotionally?
Or do you feel it's unmanly and inappropriate?



No comments:

Post a Comment