Monday 25 April 2016

The Eternal Balance: the Good and Evil Within

I am not a negative person and have always lived with positive paradigms, courtesy and kindness a daily practice as I know love is the only way to peace, to a serene heart and to experience this journey with gratitude. However, when we acknowledge the darker side of human beings, when we realize that we all inherently have sin woven into our free will, it is often hard to accept what is happening in the world, the extremes to which people will go in their quest of evil.

Human beings are basically narcissistic, and no matter how we practice kindness and the ideals of love, self-protection, self-interest and self-gain relentlessly hounds our pre-preemptive intentions. When tested most of us fail to be the people we envisage and our perceived halos fall quickly to our shoulders, if not feet.

All we can do is aspire to be better, to minimize the darkness and walk with positive intentions with love as our guiding light. But life has a way of defeating these hopes, by way of the daily necessities of striving for money, possessions and status in a society that has become more than consumerist, more than competitive and breeds lies and deception each and every moment.

As a consequence we become cynical, non-trusting and hardened to the reality of being manipulated by others. We become harder, less loving or kind because we have doubts about everyone. Terrorism, increases in crime and violence doesn't help as the world leans more to the darkness, and in response we too lean more to the darkness in the righteous belief that ridding those of sin will cleanse the world. The reality is we simply lower ourselves to their darkness and sin, regardless of our righteous belief.

Perhaps it could be said that humanity is doomed from the beginning for this darkness we bring to life. Perfection may be our path in purpose, but the dark side of us is powerful indeed and the world if nothing else just gets worse not better.

Personally, I engage less and less with the world physically, so not to have to witness the constant manipulation and delusion, which upsets my own sensibilities and heart. I don't claim to be perfect, or above any-one, as often I wish I could escape myself. But in the end, the less I connect to human beings in a daily sense, the better I am. I have some wonderful people in my life, but they are few and frankly I prefer to be with animals, who are what they are, no pretense, no ulterior motives, just love and devotion.


I believe we should embrace darkness as it is part of us, but then keep it in balance and live life to aspire to realize our potential. That is our purpose, I believe. But as the world is, I do wonder what lies ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment